Saturday, February 27, 2010

How to Look Pretty When the Entire World is Against You

This is more a blog about the horrific day I had yesterday, but I thought that maybe I could share with you guys some of the things I did to make it less awful.

Here are the main points of my morning:
  • I had no power
  • Could not see anything (apply makeup, do hair, etc)
  • I did not have hot water, so no shower
  • The bus I took to commute to my job in Boston broke down and I was late for work
  • I lost a mitten
Okay, so of course I overreacted.  My boyfriend took the opportunity to smirk at me and tell me to settle down, but as you guys know, I am a sassy fashionista, so "settling down" isn't really my thing.

My boyfriend and I were staying at his parent's house (dog-sitting) when we lost power on Thursday night.  When we got up Friday, and saw that there was still no power, I demanded to drive to our apartment which is in a larger city, assuming that there would be a better chance of power.  No, there wasn't.  Apparently the entirety of New Hampshire shut down due to a crazy storm.

I had picked out my outfit the night before, thank God. So I threw that on sans shower, piled on the perfume and deodorant.  There was the tiniest bit of sunlight, so I had just enough to halfway do my hair (I put it up in a bun and slicked it back with hairspray--not ideal).  But there was no way I could apply makeup without proper lighting.

And if you know me at all, then you know that I simply cannot go in public without makeup. So I had quite the dilemma. Here's what I did:  I applied the basics while parked at the bus station facing away from the sun.  I stuck with neutral colors and very simple techniques.  Basically, I only used concealer, a tiny bit of bronze eye shadow, mascara and a swipe of blush.  It still wasn't great, but at least I could walk around in public.

When I got on the overly shaky bus, I tried to fix my look even more. Luckily I have a couple of emergency products in my purse for weird occasions like this...unfortunately, my entire bathroom does not fit in my handbag.  I went into the bus "restroom" to work my magic.  I didn't end up having any sort of hair mousse or gel for my curly hair, so I opted for some hand lotion.  It actually tamed my curls, and ended up looking pretty good.  By this point, the slicked-back portion of my hair had dried, so I combed it out with my fingers and my bangs were straight and flyaway-free. So I did a cute side ponytail and moved on to makeup.

With me, I only had dark brown eyeliner, a shimmer powder and more mascara.  I applied the eyeliner to the top lids.  I made the lines fairly thick so that I could smudge them in with the bronze shadow I had previously used.On the bottom lashline, I applied only a fine line to the outer half of the eye.

The shimmer came in handy.  It was a very light pink shade--I used it on the inner corners of my eyes and also on my cheekbones for definition. As for the mascara, I added a second coat. 

I went back to my seat on the bus looking almost like my normal fabulous self, and feeling a whole lot better.

I meant to take a picture for you ladies, but by the time I got home, I was so exhausted that I could not function.

My main advice for all of you is to keep a tiny bag of essentials with you at all times; especially products that can do more than one thing, like the shimmer I have.  Another good product to have is a pink or coral lipstick.  You can always use lipstick as a cream blush, and blush is really one of the most important makeup items to have (lipstick is too).  A small eyeliner is good to have also, and perhaps a tiny tube of concealer.  Be creative and think of new uses for small trial products that you already own.

Take it from me:  You do not want to find yourself stranded without a way to beautify yourself.  Keep an emergency kit with you at all times!

Blog Archive





reviews Blogs




Any redistribution or reproduction of part or all of the contents in any form is prohibited without prior written permission.





© 2007-2018 Alana Finnie - All Rights Reserved