Monday, February 8, 2010

I'm Wearing Five Mascaras Today!

I've recently just been obsessed with making my eyelashes look as amazing as possible sans wearing faux lashes. (Messy glue is not my thing and I simply suck at applying them). A while back, I tried using a lash/eyebrow brush in between coats of mascara. But I couldn't ever apply more than two coats; the brush just didn't get in there to remove enough. It still looked great--but I wanted more.

So I thought back to a de-clumping tip I've been hearing for years about wiping your mascara wand with a tissue before applying. That sounded like a huge waste of mascara to me, so I opted out.

Now I've finally figured it out. Spoolies!!! They're disposable mascara wands (though I clean them with my brush cleaner to get a few extra uses out of each one) The best thing about them is that they're super cheap (under $5 for 50).

Running one of these wands through my lashes post mascara application gets every single clump out, and makes my lashes look naturally full; no spider lashes for me! I played around with this idea and I'm now at the point where I can apply about five coats of mascara, with a swipe of a spoolie between each coat, and end up with lashes that look natural, long and lusciously thick.

Each mascara "layer" builds up your lashes a bit. So when you're applying mascara over post mascara-ed lashes, the mascara treats your lashes as as if they were your clean normal eye fringe. This buildup makes them look super thick and adds definite length.

I've been using multiple types of mascara and mixing it up between coats. It's good to use tubes that are formulated for different things: lengthening, thickening, curling, etc. Try it with whatever mascaras you already have (of course I own about 545743897--most normal peeps have around three). But play around with different combos. The results will surprise you!

Blog Archive





reviews Blogs




Any redistribution or reproduction of part or all of the contents in any form is prohibited without prior written permission.





© 2007-2018 Alana Finnie - All Rights Reserved