Monday, September 17, 2012
Here are some of the worst beauty myths and why they don't work.
Drinking water keeps your skin from drying out.I've seen this tip all over the place. It's simply not true! What keeps skin moist is oil, not water. There have actually been studies that compared the water content of dry skin to that of oily or normal skin, and there wasn't a difference. Another point is that too much water can actually damage your skin. Think about how your skin looks after you take a long bath. Wrinkly, and often, dry.
Brushing your hair 100 strokes a day will make it shine. This actually does more damage than good. Hair will break if you tug on it too much. It can also lead to split ends. Just stick to some gentle brushing and your hair will benefit greatly.
There's a product that can get rid of cellulite.It'd be amazing if this was true, but, alas, it's false. About 85% of women have cellulite and would absolutely love to get rid of it (myself included).The cosmetics industry, and lots of doctors and aestheticians, want to sell you products and provide treatments (especially the ridiculously expensive ones) that claim to slim, trim, tone, and de-bump your thighs, but if any of those worked, who would have cellulite?
Toothpaste works to prevent or quickly heal a pimple.Absolutely not true! I can understand why people think this. I mean, it fights bacteria in your mouth, so why shouldn't it fight bacteria on your skin? The thing is, none of the ingredients in toothpaste have a positive effect on skin, in any way. It can even make matters worse. Toothpaste can cause inflammation and actually cause acne and redness.
Never pluck a gray hair, because 10 more will grow in its place.This is completely false. It's just ridiculous to think that pulling out one hair follicle can result in growing 10 more. If anything, ripping a strand of hair out by its root leads to regrowth that refuses to lie flat. So you'll end up with a funky strand in its place.
The next time you come across a beauty tip or a claim that sounds too simple, too good to be true, or even just crazy, you can count on it to be a big fat lie!
- ► 2016 (11)
- ► 2015 (59)
- ► 2014 (47)
- ► 2013 (156)
- ELF's New Fall Collection!
- The Look For Less: Flower Necklace
- Get Gorgeous Hair with Rusk's Leave -In Treatment
- A "Gilty Pleasure" for Your Nails
- Curations Scarf GIVEAWAY!
- Pee Like a Man!
- For Ladies Who Love Lipstick
- Do Red Lips the Right Way
- Face Faux Pas: Bagelheads
- The Most Ladylike Bag for Fall
- Need a Date? Adopt-a-Guy Has You Covered!
- 5 Beauty Myths Exposed
- Lancome Gift with Purchase at Bon-Ton!
- Fashion Faux Pas: Wearing Uggs in Warm Weather
- Say Yes to Healthy Hair!
- What Does Your Nail Polish Color Say About You?
- The Perfect Shoes for Fall!
- Have a Fashion Question? Ask Me Anything on AllExp...
- How Much Would You Spend on a Dress to Look 10 Pou...
- Love Your Body--Victoria's Secret Style!
- A Gift With Purchase for Any Budget
- Celebrate Fashion's Night Out with a FREE Cupcake!...
- WooHoo! Sassy Fashionista's 1,000th Post!
- Find Your Perfect Eye Shadow Color
- Five Things You Can't Wear After This Weekend
- ▼ September (25)
- ► 2011 (173)
- ► 2010 (250)
- ► 2009 (288)
- ► 2008 (69)