I love my makeup collection (not that I'm not constantly adding to it and saying to myself, "oh, but I really need this"). I have a pretty good mix of high-end products, drugstore items, and even a few dollar store buys. The most important thing to know is that, when building your makeup collection, you simply cannot do it with only one of those categories.
The average female spends about $600 each and every year on cosmetics -- and that’s not including skin care or hair care products, it’s strictly makeup. Disgusting, right? And I probably spend at least double that. So, it's a good idea to cut corners where you can.
When it comes to cosmetics, many people are surprised to find out that just because a lipstick or lip gloss costs more money, doesn’t necessarily mean it’s a better quality product. For example, Lancome’s Juicy Tubes lip gloss costs just under $14 a tube. However, the same exact company makes Loreal’s Colour Juice which costs about half as much and people who have used both products swear that they’re the same.
Here's my basic list of where to buy the goods:
- Concealer and Foundation (if you need it)
- Highly pigmented eye shadows
- makeup brushes
- lip products
- most basic eye shadows
- eyeliner (but go for a "high-end" drugstore brand like Physician's Formula. Cheapie brands won't blend well)
- translucent powder
- nail polish
-cutesy lip glosses
- nail files
Another good thing to look into is which department store brands own drugstore brands. The makeup world is a small one, and with most drugstore companies there is a large department store business running it. That almost guarantees good quality.
- ► 2016 (11)
- ► 2015 (59)
- ► 2014 (47)
- ► 2013 (156)
- ► 2012 (250)
- ► 2011 (173)
- ► 2010 (250)
- A Zipper For Your Hair
- Smashbox Eyeshadow for $5!
- Avon's New Teal Nail Enamel: My New BFF
- Drugstore Beauty: Eyebrow Pencil Bargain
- Fashion Faux Pas: The Sack Dress
- Pretty Petite Palette
- Moroccan Flair
- Pretty In Pearls
- Makeup Tutorial: Simple Night Out
- Stylish Suede Shoes
- Natural Shine, Gorgeous Lips
- Beauty Boo-Boo: White Mascara
- Perfect Purple Polish
- What's In My Bag: August 09
- Drugstore Beauty Queen: Lipgloss Savings
- Office Ornament: Totally Totable Organizer
- Everything You'd Ever Want...Delivered
- Hideous Home Happenings: Boob Pillows...?
- ULTA Sale!
- Pumpin' Pretty Iron
- Brightest Blush on the Block
- Dry Your Nails in a Jiffy
- Clinique Bonus Time at Bon-Ton!
- Tattooed Shoes
- $15 Maxi Dress!!!
- Fashion Faux Pas: White Pumps
- Fashion Faux PAW
- Smooth Away: Basically Sand Paper for your Legs
- Safety [Pin] First!
- Clinique Bonus!
- The Perfect Lip Color for Everyone
- Pretty Pink Trench Coat
- Uhh...Goth is Back?
- Drugstore Beauty Queen
- Shiny Hair Equals Gorgeous
- Sneek Peek: Bobbi Brown Holiday 09 Collection
- Hear My Sweatshirt Roar!
- Fashion Faux Pas: Huge Ridiculous Sweaters
- Awards Ceremony Heels
- Sugar Kiss
- The Importance of a Good Quality Base Coat
- Fabbity Fab Flats for Fall
- Beauty Blunder: Lash Gems
- Plump Red Lips
- No More Foundation!
- Gorgeous Girly Guerlain Makeup
- Stila Palette for $20!
- Fashion Faux Pas: Stupid Tees
- Nine West Twisted Sister Tote
- Gorgeous Cropped Trench
- Fashion Faux Pas: Crocs for Kids
- Double-Sided Wonder
- Cute as a Button
- Christian Siriano's Fab VS Makeup Collection
- Nordstrom's Gift With Purchase!
- Fashion Faux Pas: Denim Shirts
- Sublime Sequins for Fall
- Lash Attack!
- These Earrings are Smokin'...Literally. Ew.
- Beachy Keen Dress
- Never Forget Your Lip Gloss Again!
- ▼ August (62)
- ► 2008 (69)