I've basically got my "night out" makeup down to a science. I'll usually change up the colors and such, but the basic rules still apply and most work for everyone. So, here's how I do it:
The first thing I do is apply concealer. It makes me look a tiny bit more decent and helps the rest of my makeup stay in place. I do not normally use foundation, as I love my freckles and it tends to look cakey on me. I basically apply concealer to my eyelids, under eye area, and any red spots I may notice.
Next, I apply a shimmery light eyeshadow all over the eyelid. This works as a base for other shadows, highlights my brow area, and simply just brightens up my eyes.
After that, I apply a medium brown shadow from my lash line to the crease, blending upward towards my brow line (try to avoid actually applying this shade to the brow line--the result is looking like you've got bushy eyebrows).
After that, I take a dark brown shade and apply to the outer corner of the eyelid. This makes you look more awake and gives your eyes a cat-like look. Make sure to blend well.
Next, I apply eye liner. Personally, I prefer liquid liner. This is only to be applied to the outer 3/4 of the lash line (or less). Start on the inner side of the lid and work your way out, thickening the line as you go. It's tricky to apply, but I've found that pulling on the outer corner of my eye allows me to draw a straighter line. Once that is completed, you might notice that the line is a little jagged or too sharp. To fix this, I'll usually go over it with a pencil liner to blend. The same pencil liner can be applied to your lower lash line (again, only on the outer 3/4).
To further awaken my eyes, I'll usually apply a bit of the lightest eye shadow I used (under the brow bone) to the inner corners of my lids. The shimmer brightens the whole eye area and has a bit of a "pretend eye lift" effect. It is very important to blend the shimmer. Once applied to the inner corners, blend upwards towards the darker shadows. The result should be seamless.
Next, curl the eyelashes. I'm a fan of the new heated eyelash curlers--they really make the curl stay! Immediatley after curling, apply your fave mascara. Waterproof versions are great because they help hold the curl in your lashes.
Blush is next! Take a big fluffy brush, sweep it over your blush, tap off the excess, and apply to the apples of your cheeks. Follow that by blending upwards towards your temples.
Finally, apply lipstick or gloss. I usually like to choose a shade that looks almost like my own lip color--only better. With a bit of pop.
And that's it! This usually takes me about 5-10 minutes and is simple enough for everyone to do.
Quick side note: I do most of the eye application simply with my fingertips. I've tried tons of eye shadow brushes and have yet to find a better tool.
This is a great look for going out because it looks natural enough to avoid looking like a hooker, yet shimmery and flawless enough to attract attention. Enjoy!
- ► 2016 (11)
- ► 2015 (59)
- ► 2014 (47)
- ► 2013 (156)
- ► 2012 (250)
- ► 2011 (173)
- ► 2010 (250)
- A Zipper For Your Hair
- Smashbox Eyeshadow for $5!
- Avon's New Teal Nail Enamel: My New BFF
- Drugstore Beauty: Eyebrow Pencil Bargain
- Fashion Faux Pas: The Sack Dress
- Pretty Petite Palette
- Moroccan Flair
- Pretty In Pearls
- Makeup Tutorial: Simple Night Out
- Stylish Suede Shoes
- Natural Shine, Gorgeous Lips
- Beauty Boo-Boo: White Mascara
- Perfect Purple Polish
- What's In My Bag: August 09
- Drugstore Beauty Queen: Lipgloss Savings
- Office Ornament: Totally Totable Organizer
- Everything You'd Ever Want...Delivered
- Hideous Home Happenings: Boob Pillows...?
- ULTA Sale!
- Pumpin' Pretty Iron
- Brightest Blush on the Block
- Dry Your Nails in a Jiffy
- Clinique Bonus Time at Bon-Ton!
- Tattooed Shoes
- $15 Maxi Dress!!!
- Fashion Faux Pas: White Pumps
- Fashion Faux PAW
- Smooth Away: Basically Sand Paper for your Legs
- Safety [Pin] First!
- Clinique Bonus!
- The Perfect Lip Color for Everyone
- Pretty Pink Trench Coat
- Uhh...Goth is Back?
- Drugstore Beauty Queen
- Shiny Hair Equals Gorgeous
- Sneek Peek: Bobbi Brown Holiday 09 Collection
- Hear My Sweatshirt Roar!
- Fashion Faux Pas: Huge Ridiculous Sweaters
- Awards Ceremony Heels
- Sugar Kiss
- The Importance of a Good Quality Base Coat
- Fabbity Fab Flats for Fall
- Beauty Blunder: Lash Gems
- Plump Red Lips
- No More Foundation!
- Gorgeous Girly Guerlain Makeup
- Stila Palette for $20!
- Fashion Faux Pas: Stupid Tees
- Nine West Twisted Sister Tote
- Gorgeous Cropped Trench
- Fashion Faux Pas: Crocs for Kids
- Double-Sided Wonder
- Cute as a Button
- Christian Siriano's Fab VS Makeup Collection
- Nordstrom's Gift With Purchase!
- Fashion Faux Pas: Denim Shirts
- Sublime Sequins for Fall
- Lash Attack!
- These Earrings are Smokin'...Literally. Ew.
- Beachy Keen Dress
- Never Forget Your Lip Gloss Again!
- ▼ August (62)
- ► 2008 (69)