I know that many of you ladies--myself included--are inclined to skip wearing a base coat when you're painting your nails. I get it. It's an added layer, which means more time waiting for your nails to dry and more bottles cluttering up your space. But wearing a base coat is a lot more important than you may think.
A couple years ago, I was really into wearing red nail polish. I never used a base coat and soon found that my nails had an ugly yellow tint to them. Not only was this disgusting, but it also made it difficult to wear pretty sheer pink polishes, as the yellow would show through a bit (sorry if that's TMI).
You can always simply bleach your nails, but that's horrible for your skin. If you've got yellowing nails, try rubbing lemon juice on the base of the nail (maybe for five minutes daily for a week) and the yellow hue should disappear. That said, it's really best to avoid the issue entirely.
The best basecoat I've found to date is Seche Base. It's a ridge filling basecoat, meaning that it smooths out all the little imperfections you may have, and it's main redeeming factor is that it's slightly shimmery. And I do love shimmer. It's actually pretty enough to wear on its own; just throw a top coat over it. It also adds a tid bit of shimmer to any color you wear over it.
You can buy Seche Base at drugstore.com (which, by the way, carries great products for way cheaper than actual drugstores) for $6.99.
- ► 2016 (11)
- ► 2015 (59)
- ► 2014 (47)
- ► 2013 (156)
- ► 2012 (250)
- ► 2011 (173)
- ► 2010 (250)
- A Zipper For Your Hair
- Smashbox Eyeshadow for $5!
- Avon's New Teal Nail Enamel: My New BFF
- Drugstore Beauty: Eyebrow Pencil Bargain
- Fashion Faux Pas: The Sack Dress
- Pretty Petite Palette
- Moroccan Flair
- Pretty In Pearls
- Makeup Tutorial: Simple Night Out
- Stylish Suede Shoes
- Natural Shine, Gorgeous Lips
- Beauty Boo-Boo: White Mascara
- Perfect Purple Polish
- What's In My Bag: August 09
- Drugstore Beauty Queen: Lipgloss Savings
- Office Ornament: Totally Totable Organizer
- Everything You'd Ever Want...Delivered
- Hideous Home Happenings: Boob Pillows...?
- ULTA Sale!
- Pumpin' Pretty Iron
- Brightest Blush on the Block
- Dry Your Nails in a Jiffy
- Clinique Bonus Time at Bon-Ton!
- Tattooed Shoes
- $15 Maxi Dress!!!
- Fashion Faux Pas: White Pumps
- Fashion Faux PAW
- Smooth Away: Basically Sand Paper for your Legs
- Safety [Pin] First!
- Clinique Bonus!
- The Perfect Lip Color for Everyone
- Pretty Pink Trench Coat
- Uhh...Goth is Back?
- Drugstore Beauty Queen
- Shiny Hair Equals Gorgeous
- Sneek Peek: Bobbi Brown Holiday 09 Collection
- Hear My Sweatshirt Roar!
- Fashion Faux Pas: Huge Ridiculous Sweaters
- Awards Ceremony Heels
- Sugar Kiss
- The Importance of a Good Quality Base Coat
- Fabbity Fab Flats for Fall
- Beauty Blunder: Lash Gems
- Plump Red Lips
- No More Foundation!
- Gorgeous Girly Guerlain Makeup
- Stila Palette for $20!
- Fashion Faux Pas: Stupid Tees
- Nine West Twisted Sister Tote
- Gorgeous Cropped Trench
- Fashion Faux Pas: Crocs for Kids
- Double-Sided Wonder
- Cute as a Button
- Christian Siriano's Fab VS Makeup Collection
- Nordstrom's Gift With Purchase!
- Fashion Faux Pas: Denim Shirts
- Sublime Sequins for Fall
- Lash Attack!
- These Earrings are Smokin'...Literally. Ew.
- Beachy Keen Dress
- Never Forget Your Lip Gloss Again!
- ▼ August (62)
- ► 2008 (69)