Smokey eyes are great for a night out, but why stick to plain old black and gray shadows? You can actually create a smokin' smokey eye with nearly any color. Jewel tones are in this season, and purple is my fave. It makes all eye colors pop, especially green, brown and hazel. I know it can seem a little scary to use a purple eyeshadow, but it's really quite flattering and depending on how comfortable you are, it's easy to tone down or layer up.
Start off by applying moisturizer to the eye area. A thin layer will do; pat to dry. Next, prep your lid by brushing on a cream concealer. Eyeshadow will adhere to it better than you natural lid; it also won't crease and will last all night.
Use a pale lavender eyeshadow (I like one with a little shimmer) all over the lid, especially under the browbone. It's important that this shade is not too purple; it should be more cream/pink hued than anything else.
For all the shadows, I used NP Set's Amsterdam Eye Palette. The lightest shade works perfectly for this step.
Using the same palette, apply the medium shade on the lid from your lashline to your crease blending upwards as you go.
Next, use a deep purple pencil eye liner and line your top lid from the inner corner out, as close to the lashline as possible. To get a straight line, gently pull the outside corner of your lid towards your cheekbone. This will give you a smooth surface to work with. To line, I like L'Oreal's HiP Color Chrome Eyeliner in Violet Volt. It's really well-pigmented and easy to blend.
Take a dark purple shadow and apply it over the liner to blend even more. Use an eyeliner brush to do this (any small brush will work) and blend with your fingertips. This is the key step to getting a flawless smokey eye--harsh lines tend to ruin the look.
When you're using dark eyeshadows, chances are you'll end up with a lot of unwanted color under your eyes. Because of this, I like to hold off on undereye concealer until I'm done using dark shadows. Using a gentle makeup remover wipe, remove the excess color. Dot on a liquid concealer and blend with your ring finger.
Next, apply the light lavender shadow to the inner corner of the eye. Blend into the inner 1/4 of the lid. This wakes the eye up and gives you a fresher look.
Finally, curl your lashes and brush on a bright purple mascara. It's a nice touch that surprisingly doesn't make you look overdone if you use the right mascara. Victoria's Secret has a great one, their Beauty Rush mascara in Violight adds just enough purple to give eyes an extra pop.
Because the focus of this look is the eyes, you'll want to downplay everything else to avoid looking like some sort of clown. A simple matte peach blush and nude lipgloss finish off the look nicely.
Friday, October 16, 2009
- ► 2016 (11)
- ► 2015 (59)
- ► 2014 (47)
- ► 2013 (156)
- ► 2012 (250)
- ► 2011 (173)
- ► 2010 (250)
- Fashion Faux Pas: The Stained [ish] Shirt
- Luna Twilight Color Palette
- Beauty Boo-Boo: Lipstick Covered Teeth
- Pink Me Up!
- Breast Cancer Awareness: Coach Floral Scarf
- Techie Accessory: Robot USB Key
- Review: Anew Reversalist System
- Cure Cold Weather Skin: Olay Active Hydrating Cre...
- Hard Candy at Walmart!
- Breast Cancer Awareness: Super Shimmer Lip Gloss
- Whoops Bunny Makeup Sticks
- $14 LBD from Walmart!
- Drugstore Diva: Perfect Red Plumping Gloss
- My Beauty Prayers Have Been Answered: Shadow Shie...
- Fashion Faux Pas: Literally Draping Yourself in V...
- Beautiful Brown Mascara
- Fashion Savings: Cute Scarf for WAY Less!
- Beauty Boo-Boo: Telescopic Explosion Mascara
- Breast Cancer Awareness: Michael Kors Tee
- Life-Saving Lip Gloss
- Forget Me Knot
- Sephora's Friends and Family SALE!!!
- Beauty Boo-Boo: Lindsay Lohan
- Tutorial: Peacock Eyes for Night
- Bamboo Brushes
- Damaged Hair Helper: Biolustre
- Breast Cancer Awareness: Sonia Kashuk Purse-Sized ...
- Breast Cancer Awareness: Sealed With a Cure!
- Instant Virtual Makeover at RealBeauty.com
- Breast Cancer Awareness: Butter LONDON Pink Ribbo...
- Fashion Faux Pas: Disco Pants
- Think Pink: Pretty Pink Flats
- Gorgeous Glow
- Tutorial: Va Va Voom Violet Eyes
- Breast Cancer Awareness: Pink Ribbon Keds
- What's In My Makeup Bag: October
- Breast Cancer Awareness: Pretty Pink Purchases Fro...
- Style for the Home: Rubik's Cube Salt & Pepper Gr...
- Too Faced Vintage Product SALE!
- Fashion Faux Pas: Furry Vests
- Bead For Life
- Harajuku Lovers Snow Bunnies: Too Cute For Words
- Feel Your Boobies
- Eeee!!! Sales Galore!
- Bargain Bag
- Nordstrom's Fall Gift With Purchase
- Good to Glow
- Breast Cancer Awareness: Marilyn Minter Bag
- Drugstore Beauty Bargain: Hair Shimmer Spray
- Boyfriend Blazer Without the Bulk
- Clinique Gift With Purchase at Macy's!
- Huge Lips Skinny Hips
- Tutorial: How To Apply Concealer
- Faux-Vintage Pumps
- A Reusable Bag That Tells it Like it is...
- Global Goddess 60% off!
- Cash For Clunkers at Sephora
- Man Mishap: The Unibrow
- Today Only: Aerosoles Sale!
- Breast Cancer Awareness: Beauty For the Cure
- Breast Cancer Awareness: Think Pink
- Fusion Sale!!!
- Bigger is Better
- Breast Cancer Awareness: It's Back! OPI Pink of H...
- Pixi Sale at The Fairest!
- Tutorial: How to Apply Liquid Eyeliner
- Breast Cancer Awareness: Great Skin for a Great C...
- ▼ October (67)
- ► 2008 (69)